This Saturday I have a Science Olympiad tournament and in the simplest terms, it's a really big science fair for high schoolers. I'll be participating against other schools for first place in events such as, "it's about time" where I build a non-mechanical timing device, and "chemistry lab" where I experiment and analyze with various compounds.
I used to think I was weird (thanks self-concept) for appreciating learning random things about science, but it makes me SO happy to see hundreds of other kids doing the same exact things!
I used to think I was weird (thanks self-concept) for appreciating learning random things about science, but it makes me SO happy to see hundreds of other kids doing the same exact things!
This made me think about sociology... I began to think, "how much different are we from those who surround us?". Probably not THAT much different, many of us are high school students who spend hours on our phones, checking Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest. We stay up to date with social media and Kayne West's newest line of fashion. So my question is...
Why do we care so much about other peoples' opinions when most of us act the same??
Why do we care so much about other peoples' opinions when most of us act the same??
I think all teens have aspects that make us similar, but, saying we are all the same is like saying all animals are the same. Sure, there are some of us who fall under the same category- heck some of us are almost identical, but, we all have unique aspects about us. I think the reason why we care so much, is because we want to keep our unique traits in tact, while still being apart of the societal norm.
ReplyDeleteI agree with ab(BAE). I personally enjoy having traits in common with other people because it gives us something to talk about. But I also enjoy having specific hobbies and interests that I keep to myself because I like to have certain things that make me unique.
ReplyDeleteI think having thing in common with others is the basis of human socialization and allows humans to fulfill the need to socialize, but, occasionally, this hinders someones personal progress because of a contrary opinion of someone like and/or respected by the other.
ReplyDeleteI think having thing in common with others is the basis of human socialization and allows humans to fulfill the need to socialize, but, occasionally, this hinders someones personal progress because of a contrary opinion of someone like and/or respected by the other.
ReplyDeleteI think that the previous comments are right that not all teens are the same, but I totally agree with you! We shouldn't be worried about what everyone else thinks and just do what makes you happy.
ReplyDelete